Who we are:
The Behaviour Support Team (BST) is part of the Education Inclusion Service.
The Team is made up of Advisory Teachers who have extensive experience of working in schools in a teaching and managerial capacity. Advisory Teachers have specialist knowledge, understanding and training in order to support schools in meeting the needs of pupils with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.
What we do:
When a school has concerns about a pupil’s behaviour it is invited to contact a member of the Team who will discuss the concerns and provide some initial advice. If it is felt that further involvement by an Advisory Teacher might be helpful, the school is asked to speak with the pupil’s parent/carer to seek their consent to make a formal request for involvement by an Advisory Teacher.
The first step of involvement involves arranging a visit to the school where the Advisory Teacher meets with the parent/carer, the pupil and the most appropriate member of the school staff. At this meeting a plan is agreed about how best the Advisory Teacher can help. It is usually helpful if the Advisory Teacher has an opportunity to observe the pupil in class and this is always carried out with parental/carer knowledge and agreement.
The Behaviour Support Team always works collaboratively with school staff, parents/carers and the pupil, and a record of all work carried out with the pupil is recorded and feedback is given at the review meeting.
The Behaviour Support Team provides support in a number of ways, including:
• Telephone support and advice for schools
• Advising on and providing resources and strategies to support pupils
• Supporting the school to develop support plans for pupils, eg. Termly Support Plan, Pastoral Support Plan, Individual Behaviour Management Plan etc
• Supporting the school to complete risk assessment documentation, if appropriate
• Providing support for staff who are working with pupils whose behaviour is challenging
• Assessing pupils’ needs using a range of assessment tools, eg. Boxall Profile
• Attending planning and review meetings
• Liaising with outside agencies involved with the pupil
• Delivering bespoke training, eg. Team Teach, Attachment, Nurture Provision
• Working one to one work with pupils