Are you interested in helping to improve the Local Offer website? Contact us: Email  (01482) 396469

Personal Travel Budgets (PTB)

Personal Travel Budgets (PTB)

Personal Travel Budgets may be used as an alternative approach to transport for those eligible for home to school or college transport.  Please find information and criteria below for recipients, parents and carers.

The Personal Travel Budget (PTB) is a cash payment to a parent, carer or student instead of organised transport provided by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council. A Personal Travel Budget is available to parents of children and young people or students with special travel needs who have been assessed as eligible to receive home to school or college transport from the council.

Having a Personal Travel Budget allows families to arrange home to school or college travel arrangements in a way that suits them. A PTB allows families to make flexible arrangements and, if they choose, to work with other families who are receiving a Personal Travel Budget.

A Personal Travel Budget is part of the council’s Home to School Transport Policy, a copy of which is available on the council’s website on the School/college Transport information page:

School/college Transport Information including Home to School Transport Policy - East Riding of Yorkshire Council Website (external Website)

The Personal Travel Budget is granted at the discretion of the council for children eligible to receive home to school or college travel assistance from the council because of special travel needs. It may not always be possible to offer a Personal Travel Budget, particularly if it would have an adverse impact on a service provider for other transport users, or where it is not an efficient use of the council’s recourses. Under these circumstances the council will arrange alternative home to school or college travel arrangements taking into account the child’s/Young Persons needs.

The Personal Travel Budget will be calculated on a case by case basis. This is because they are personalised to each child based on their needs. The amount of support your child needs to safely travel to school or college is taken into consideration including for example if they require medical equipment on board. Once the personalised rate is calculated, the amount you will receive is then worked out by measuring the distance of the shortest available route using the public road network from the point of the child’s normal place of residence (usually the family home), to the nearest approved entry point to the school or college site. The distance will be measured on a computerised GIS system using Ordnance Survey information.

The amount you receive will be calculated as outlined in the question above.  A total of four journeys a day are payable (i.e. to school or college and back home twice a day during term time). This day rate will be paid, based on the number of school or college days in the half term at a rate which will be set by the director of Children, Families and Schools.

Payment of a Personal Travel Budget will be made in advance at the start of each half term and is based on the number of days in your child’s school or college timetable for that period. You do not need to open a separate bank account to be used solely for receiving cash payments*. However if your child already has an account for direct payments you can use that.

(*N.B. If your child or the young person you care for moves across to Adult Services, you will need a separate bank account at this point).

If your child is in post 16 education, then yes you are required to pay the £540 contribution as per the Home to School Transport Policy.  This contribution will be deducted from your Personal Travel Budget payment over the academic year.

Those who are offered a Personal Travel Budget will be asked to sign an agreement. This sets out the role of the recipient or parent or carer and the council in the Personal Travel Budget process and will contain a form for completion with details of your designated bank account.

The council will make arrangements to transfer the Personal Travel Budget funding into your designated bank account. You can then arrange and manage your child’s travel arrangements in a way that best suits you.

As long as your child gets to and from school or college comfortably and safely in a way that guarantees their timely attendance in line with the school or college's academic calendar, you can spend the Personal Travel Budget in any way you wish. Previous recipients have spent their Personal Travel Budget in the following ways:

  • You or someone in your family driving your child to and from school or college.

  • Arranging for a friend or relative to walk your child to and from school or college.

  •  Arranging for a private taxi firm to drive your child to and from school or college.

  • Purchase a travel pass for an adult to accompany your child on public transport to and from school or college.

  • Purchase travel passes for your other children so they can get home whilst you’re collecting your child who has a Personal Travel Budget.

There are so many other ways you can spend your Personal Travel Budget, its purpose is to achieve flexibility for you and your child

As part of your Personal Travel Budget agreement, if you move house or your child changes school or college you must inform the council’s transport department by


Telephone: (01482) 395444.

An assessment of the most effective method of your child getting to school or college will then be undertaken and you will be kept informed of

The council is keen to encourage children to travel as independently as possible, so, for example, if your child undertakes Independent Travel Training and is able to travel to go to school or college more independently, we will work with you to move away from a Personal Travel Budget to the council supporting your child to travel to school or college more independently.

You do not have to have a Personal Travel Budget, but in taking one you accept that unless your circumstances change significantly it is expected that you will continue with it for the full academic year. If your circumstances do change significantly and you are no longer able to continue the Personal Travel Budget, you will need to notify the transport team by:


Telephone: (01482) 395444.

The council will endeavour to make alternative travel arrangements as quickly as possible, but this can take up to four weeks.  In the interim period it will remain your responsibility to continue with your Personal Travel Budget, to ensure your child attends school or college.

Personal Travel Budgets are not a benefit.  Any income from a Personal Travel Budget is neither taxable nor will it affect any benefit claim for parents or carers participating in the scheme.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient of the Personal Travel Budget to check with any relevant services that this is the case for their own personal circumstances.

The council wishes to encourage you to control the Personal Travel Budget in a way that works best for you, so will keep monitoring to a minimum.  Monitoring will take place through discussions with the school or college about your child’s attendance or any other issues affected by home to school or college travel.  At the end of each term you will be sent a short electronic feedback questionnaire which will ask you a few questions relating to the management of your Personal Travel Budget.  This feedback will be used to improve the service and not for any other purpose.

If your request for a Personal Travel Budget is refused, the council will set out reasons in writing. The council will consider any representation made and notify you of the outcome in writing setting out the reasons for the decision. 

There are situation when the normal travel arrangements that are in place cannot be used. For example, if you normally transport your child in your own car and you are ill, or the car breaks down. You will need to have alternative plans in place to get your child to school or college in these situations.

The council is unable to provide alternative transport in these circumstances and if your child is absent due to you not being able to get your child to school, the Personal Travel Budget may be reduced or withdrawn. The recipient or parent/carer will be required to sign as part of the agreement that contingency plans are in place. 

As part of a young person’s transition to adulthood, it is hoped that as many young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities as possible will have started to travel independently by the time they reach college age.

The council may be able to help with specialist Independent Travel Training *. However, many young people will still need special provision or support for their travel as a result of their needs. Before applying, and to find out who is entitled to transport in further education, please see the information on the Post -16 Transport page on East Riding's Local Offer website. The Post - 16 TRansport page provides comprehensive information regarding travel assistance which may be available from the council to students aged 16-18 and students aged 19+.

*criteria applies - please visit the Transition to Adulthood page:

Transition to Adulthood  - East Riding of Yorkshire Website ( external website )

If you would like more information please contact the Transport Team on:

Tel: (01482) 395444

Page last updated: Tuesday, 15 August 2017