Special Education Needs and Disabilities Assessment and Review Team (SENDART)

SENDART is responsible for all statutory processes relating to Education, Health and Care Plans - for example Education, Health and Care assessments, the issuing of Education, Health and Care draft and final Plans, and the annual review of Educational, Health and Care Plans, and deals with various related processes, for example, school placements.  Staff also work with families to resolve disagreements and complaints relating to special education provision. 

Please see links below to the team structure chart and ‘Who’s Who’ in the team

SENDART Structure May 2021 (pdf 397kb)

SENDART Who’s Who May 2021 (pdf 137kb)

A diagnosis is not necessary to access this service but an identified special educational needs and / or disability is; the service is for children and young people aged 0-25 years. 

The team works with children and young people 0-25 years when they are in an educational placement and have a current EHC plan, or are going through the EHC assessment process.

Education providers can also contact the service regarding meeting a child/young person's special educational needs when they have an Education, Health and Care plan or when requesting an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment for a child/young person.  

Parent/carers can also request an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment for their child or young person, but usually it is the educational setting that would make the request.  

You can read more about Education, Health and Care Needs Assessments on the Education, Health and Care Plan page

Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm. Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

You can contact SENDART by:

Phone:  (01482) 394000

Email: send.enquiries@eastriding.gov.uk


County Hall
Cross Street
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA.

You may also find it useful to speak to:

Compliments can be submitted directly to SENDART (see details above) or by contacting Customer Relations:

Telephone: (01482) 396422

Email: customer.relations@eastriding.gov.uk 

or by post to:

Customer Relations Team
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
HU17 9BA.

If you have concerns and feel you wish to raise a complaint, in the first instance please contact your Education Health and Care Officer (EHCO) to discuss your concerns.

If you do not feel this would be appropriate then please contact SENDART to request to speak to a Senior EHCO (contact details above).

If your concerns have not been resolved to your satisfaction then you can contact the Customer Relations Team (contact details above) for further advice and to discuss if you would like to make a complaint under the local authority Feedback Policy.  

You can also find additional information in East Riding of Yorkshire Council information on Comments, Compliments and Complaints on the feedback page of this Local Offer website.