Are you interested in helping to improve the Local Offer website? Contact us: Email  (01482) 396469

Health Services

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Specialist CAMHS are NHS mental health services that focus on the Mental health needs of Children and young people. These services are designed to help with:

  • Mood-related disorders such as depression and anxiety
  • Trauma
  • Eating Disorders
  • Self Harm
  • Psychosis

Guidance for referral


Functioning at individual or family level

Distress of child or young person

CAMHS response


There may be transient difficulties e.g. anxiety that is associated with exams.

No noticeable distress, child generally functioning well in all areas.

No response from CAMHS required


Occasional difficulties affecting functioning in one setting. E.g. at home or school or with peers

Distress is situational and occurs less than once a week.

No Response from CAMHS required


Is impaired in at least one or more settings

Distress occurs on most days of the week. The problem would be apparent to others who encounter the young person.

Referral would be screened at Contact point


Unable to function in one or more settings.

Distress is extreme and constant

Specialist CAMHS assessment and intervention via Contact point

The multidisciplinary teams consist of:

  • Psychiatrists
  • Psychologists
  • Nurses
  • Support workers
  • Psychological therapists – this may include Creative Therapists and Family Therapists.

We also have close links and specific teams or workers that devote time to external services.

We have a 24/7 CAMHS crisis team which offers a quick response to emergency mental health presentations.

We have a Specialist Eating disorder team that provides a quick response and ongoing treatment to children and Young people who have a suspected Eating disorder.

Children and Young people with a learning disability who may be experiencing a mental health problem should access the Learning disability team.

How we do it

All the interventions provided are evidence based, designed to help young people and families cope with mental health difficulties.

Examples of some of the interventions are:

  • Consultation
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
  • Family work
  • Play Therapy
5-18 years
Location and access

The service covers all children and young people that are registered with an East Riding GP. The exception to this is those that are registered in Pocklington as York CAMHS are now commissioned for this area.

Access to this service

To access the service you can call Contact point. However, if it’s regarding an eating disorder the Eating disorder team should be contacted directly. A referral can be made by:

  • The family
  • The young person (if over the age of 16yrs)
  • A health professional working with the child or young person with parent /guardian consent (All professionals should fill in the online referral form)


Once a referral is received by the service it will be screened to establish which course of action will be taken next. The action could be telephone triage, consultation or signposting to a more appropriate agency/service. 

How we communicate with children, young people with SEND and their families

The children’s learning disability team support families to communicate more effectively with children through visuals and other resources. 

Registered service and regulatory body

The service is registered with the care Quality Commission (CQC). All the professionals within the team are registered with the appropriate body as follows:

  • Registered Learning Disability nurses – Nursing and Midwifery Council
  • Registered Mental Health nurses – Nursing and Midwifery Council
  • Psychologists, Play Therapists and Drama Therapists – Health and Care Professionals Council
  • Doctors – General medical council


Cost of the service and payment options

No Cost

Cost of service and payment options
No cost
Contact information
To refer a primary school aged child please ring:
East Riding Early help and Assessment Hub (EHaSH) on (01482) 395500

To refer a High school aged young person please ring:
Contact point on (01482) 303810

To refer to the Eating disorder team please ring:
Beverly Health centre on (01482) 347886

To speak to the CAMHS team about an open case please ring:
Rivendell house on (01377) 208280

To speak to the Learning Disability Team please ring:

Hub School and Specialist Services on (01482) 394000


Contacts for comments, compliments and complaints
Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) for Humber Foundation Trust
Tel: (01482) 303966
There is no map available for this service
Page last updated: Thursday, 04 September 2014