The Paediatric Audiology Service (PAS) is provided by the Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
Services provided include:
• Neonatal hearing screening, to identify babies with a permanent hearing loss, which may require intervention.
• Audiological assessment of pre-school children referred from a number of sources, such as GPs, health visitors, speech therapists, paediatricians, ENT surgeons etc. These children are seen in purpose built facilities by specialist trained audiologists with audiological physician support and input.
• Older age groups are usually referred by GPs and school nurses, often due to failing a routine school nurse test or concerns from teachers or parents. The assessment may also be part of the reports for the SEN process.
• Hearing aid provision and long-term after care for all children identified as having a permanent hearing loss. These children receive joint care by the specialist local health and education departments.
• We also refer children who meet the criteria, to regional centres for specialist treatments such as bone-anchored hearing aids and cochlear implants.