Speech and Language Therapy referrals are accepted by Health Visitors, GP’s, Consultants, Educational Practitioners and parents/carers. New referral process to the Children’s Speech and Language Therapy
.This is to ensure:
· Referrals to the service are appropriate and capture children who have a specific speech, language and communication need
· Professionals/parents are provided with information to enable them to support children who have speech, language and communication difficulties who don’t meet the criteria for referral
The main changes are:
· Parental consent for communication via text/email to be obtained
· Revised questionnaire with more detailed information
· Screening checklist specific to each age range
The completion of the screening checklist is designed to ‘stand alone’ and to support the referrer in determining if a referral the Speech and Language Therapy service is required. For children who are ‘amber’ there are links to websites for information, strategies and activities which will enable parents and other professionals working with the child to support their speech, language and communication.
All the information will soon be available on the speech and language therapy website. Including all the new referral packs, these versions will also enable referrers to type directly into the forms. Also soon on the website there will be information on developmental milestones which contain links to appropriate websites: Information on developmental milestones - Humber NHS website ( external website)
If you are unclear of the process please contact your local speech and language therapy team. The teams are based at main health centres throughout Hull and East Riding. Alternatively contact the named speech and language therapist for your school. They will be happy to discuss the information in more detail.
All information is avaliable on the Speech and Langauge Therapy Service webpage including the new referral forms and process:
Speech and Language Therapy webpage including referral forms and process - Humber NHS website ( external website)