Are you interested in helping to improve the Local Offer website? Contact us: Email  (01482) 396469


Below are a list of therapy services available to children and young people.

Speech and Language Therapy Service
The speech and language therapy service is a community based service for children and young people aged 0 – 19. The service operates across the East Riding of Yorkshire and provides input in a range of settings including, home, clinic, mainstream schools and special schools. Assessment, advice and treatment (if appropriate) is provided for children with:

  • Delayed speech, language or communication skills
  • Complex needs
  • Specific Speech and language impairment
  • Dysfluency
  • Cleft Palate
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Physical Disability
  • Autism
  • Learning Difficulty
  • Eating and drinking difficulties

Children requiring support from speech and language therapy services may receive one or more of the following:

  • Training and advice for parents/carers and other service providers (health, social work, education)
  • Provision of programmes of work and ways of supporting the child in different environments and by different people
  • Involvement with educational and transition planning
  • Direct therapy with child individually or in a group
  • Support and empower parents and carers to manage the care of their child

Following the agreed period of support the child's progress will be reviewed in partnership with parents/carers and others and further recommendations and actions will be adopted according to the child's changing needs.
0-19 years
Location and access

The speech and language therapy service is located in number of bases across the East Riding of Yorkshire.  This includes Beverley Health Centre, Goole Health Centre, Hessle Health Centre, Alfred Bean Hospital and Goole and District Hospital.

The speech and language therapy service is delivered at the location where the child’s needs are best met.  This includes all of the above plus mainstream and special schools, pre school settings, Children’s Centres and the child’s home.
Access to this service
Speech and Language Therapy referrals are accepted by Health Visitors, GP’s, Consultants, Educational Practitioners and parents/carers.

New referral process to the Children’s Speech and Language Therapy .This is to ensure:
·        Referrals to the service are appropriate and capture children who have a specific speech, language and communication need
·        Professionals/parents are provided with information to enable them to support children who have speech, language and communication difficulties who don’t meet the criteria for referral
The main changes are:
·        Parental consent for communication via text/email to be obtained
·        Revised questionnaire with more detailed information
·        Screening checklist specific to each age range
The completion of the screening checklist is designed to ‘stand alone’ and to support the referrer in determining if a referral the Speech and Language Therapy service is required.  For children who are  ‘amber’ there are links to websites for information, strategies and activities which will enable parents and other professionals working with the child to support their speech, language and communication.
All the information will soon be available on the speech and language therapy website. Including all the new referral packs, these versions will also enable referrers to type directly into the forms. Also soon on the website there will be information on developmental milestones which contain links to appropriate websites:
Information on developmental milestones - Humber NHS website ( external website)
If you are unclear of the process please contact your local speech and language therapy team.  The teams are based at main health centres throughout Hull and East Riding. Alternatively contact the named speech and language therapist for your school.  They will be happy to discuss the information in more detail. 

All information is avaliable on the Speech and Langauge Therapy Service webpage including the new referral forms and process:

Speech and Language Therapy webpage including referral forms and process  - Humber NHS website ( external website) 

How we communicate with children, young people with SEND and their families
All therapists are trained to communicate effectively with children and young people and their families.  This includes the use of sign language if appropriate.  For families with English as an Additional Language interpreters are available.
Registered service and regulatory body
All therapists are registered to practice with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC)
Training acquired to support children and young people with SEND and their families
All therapists receive appropriate training (undergraduate and post graduate training) to work with children and young people with SEND and their families.
Contact information
Contact details:
Speech and Language Therapy Service
Victoria House,
Park Street
Tel: (01482) 617922
Contacts for comments, compliments and complaints
Humber NHS Foundation Trust has a centralised Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) which is based at the Trust Headquarters, Willerby Hill, HU10 6ED
Tel: (01482) 303966.
Victoria House Park Street
Kingston upon Hull
United Kingdom
Page last updated: Monday, 13 October 2014